Frequently asked questions
Food For Families is thanks to people like you who are helping us to collect food and other donations for people who need it most. Here are some of our most frequently asked questions.
Still need help?
We are here to make things as easy as possible. Keep in touch with our team [email protected] or call 1800 668 426.
Food For Families is a campaign to collect food and other essential items for families in crisis.
Food for Families has been running for over 30 years. The campaign was started by Leader newspaper, then Wesley Mission Victoria took the lead with the aim of generating more material aid to support increasing demand on services, but no increases in funding.
Getting involved is a great way to get people together and give back to the community.
All food donated goes directly to people in crisis who access our pantries at our Emergency Relief centres across Victoria and Tasmania. Families can select food from our food pantry when times get tough and bills stack up. We also provide food that’s easy to prepare to people who are homeless, sleeping rough or living in their car.
The food, gifts and household essentials are distributed at our emergency relief, family services and outreach centres across Victoria and Tasmania.
Providing material aid isn’t all we offer, people and families can access a range of other supports such as financial counselling, no-interest loans, case management, housing support and family violence services.
1. Register to join our Food For Families team and donate food & essential items all year round.
2. Make a monetary donation to directly support vulnerable people needing access to food so our services can purchase the most needed items on your behalf.
3. Help stock our pantries throughout the year by becoming a regular supporter by donating a monthly gift. $30 a month - just $1 a day - allows us to provide a shopping bag of groceries to families in crisis.
We need donations of non-perishable items, toiletries and household essentials. Examples include:
- Pasta, rice and noodles
- Flour, polenta and couscous
- Tinned tomatoes, pasta sauces
- Beans, chickpeas and lentils
- Tinned tuna, salmon and ham
- Soups, curries and tinned vegetables
- Baby food, nappies and formula
- Spreads - e.g. jam, Vegemite
- Long life milk and cheese
- Tea, coffee, Milo and sugar
- Stir fry sauces and soy sauce
- Coconut milk and coconut cream
- Breakfast cereal and muesli bars
- Toothpaste and toothbrushes
- Shampoo, conditioner and soap
We can’t accept:
- Donations of perishable food like frozen meals
- Food that is past or close to their use by date (i.e. within three months)
- Opened jars or other partially used food
If you receive donations of fresh, open, or out-of date food, we ask that you dispose of them responsibly before passing your collection on to us.
Yes, we accept gifts, and they are extremely appreciated by the families that we support. Families greatly appreciate gift vouchers for stores like JbHifi, EB Games etc, so parents can choose what they give their children.
- Share amongst your friends, family and colleagues
- Organise an office competition where everyone donates food
We have a number of resources to help you promote your Food For Families collection, including posters and shopping list flyers.
Additional downloadable resources can be found on our Helpful resources page
Don’t forget social media. Please use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn as much as you can to showcase your Food For Families collection and ideas, and don’t forget to add #FoodForFamilies
We understand that not everyone can afford to donate to others. We’re sorry to hear about your situation. AskIzzy has the most comprehensive list of emergency relief services across Australia.
To donate or become a regular supporter of Food For Families, visit our donations page on our website. You can also call us on 1800 668 426 if you wish to hold an event to raise money.