Frequently asked questions
Food For Families is thanks to people like you who are helping us to collect food and other donations for people who need it most. Here are some of our most frequently asked questions.
Still need help?
We are here to make things as easy as possible. Keep in touch with our team FoodForFamlies@vt.uniting.org or call 1800 060 543
Food For Families is a campaign to raise 70 tonnes of non-perishable food for families in crisis.
Food for Families is in its 28th year. The campaign was started by Leader newspaper, then Wesley Mission Victorian took the lead with the aim of generating more material aid to support increasing demand on services, but no increases in funding.
Getting involved is a great way to get people together and give back to the community.
All food donated goes directly to people in crisis who access our pantries at our Emergency Relief centres across Victoria and Tasmania. Families can select food from our food pantry when times get touch and bills stack up. We also provide food that’s easy to prepare to people who are homeless, sleeping rough or living in their car.
The food, gifts and household essentials are distributed at our emergency relief, family services and outreach centres across Victoria and Tasmania.
Providing material aid isn’t all we offer, people and families can access a range of other supports such as financial counselling, no-interest loans, case management, housing support and family violence services.
40,000 families will reach out to us this year.
This Christmas our goal is to raise 70 tonnes of non-perishable food, that’s 4667 boxes which will feed 7000 families. Last year we raised 50 tonnes of food, but it wasn't enough to meet the growing demand. By July our pantries were getting low.
There are a number of ways to get involved. Donate non-perishable food to a location near you, host your own collection, or become a drop-off point:
- Register to collect food as a workplace, school or kinder, community group, your church, sporting club – anywhere where people come together
- Register with your family, or as an individual
- Register as a drop-off point – as a business, school, kinder, church etc you can register as a Drop Off Point for your local community to drop off their food collections with you.
By becoming a drop-off point, more individuals can get involved. People that want to get involved have a convient way to donate. We will:
- Provide you with Food For Families boxes to collect the food, and posters and other resources to help manage the collection.
- Include your location, with address, contact details and opening hours on our website
- Arrange to pick up your filled boxes.
- Be ready to answer any queries you may have along the way
We’re here to help, so please get in touch:
- Call: 1800 060 543
- Email: FoodForFamilies@vt.uniting.org
Please use your own bags and boxes to collect food. Please ensure the boxes are sturdy and ideally have a lid or can close. Please ensure they weigh no more than 15 kgs. When you have finished collecting, please drop your collection at the nearest drop off point.
The Food For Families boxes are a little bigger than an archive box. They are 50cm (L) x 31cm (W) x 29cm (D). They can hold up to 15kg maximum. Please be sure to evenly distribute the weight of your collection, for example, mix up heavier and lighter items for safe handling.
You’ll receive tips on safe packing of boxes and safe handling so you stay safe, or check it out on the resources link.
We need donations of non-perishable items, toiletries and household essentials. Examples include:
- Pasta, rice and noodles
- Flour, polenta and couscous
- Tinned tomatoes, pasta sauces
- Beans, chickpeas and lentils
- Tinned tuna, salmon and ham
- Soups, curries and tinned vegetables
- Baby food, nappies and formula
- Spreads - e.g. jam, Vegemite
- Long life milk and cheese
- Tea, coffee, Milo and sugar
- Stir fry sauces and soy sauce
- Coconut milk and coconut cream
- Breakfast cereal and muesli bars
- Toothpaste and toothbrushes
- Shampoo, conditioner and soap
We can’t accept:
- Donations of perishable food like frozen meals
- Food that is past or close to their use by date (i.e. within three months)
- Opened jars or other partially used food
If you receive donations of fresh, open, or out-of date food, we ask that you dispose of them responsibly before passing your collection on to us.
Yes, we accept gifts, and they are extremely appreciated by the families that we support. Families greatly appreciate gift vouchers for stores like JbHifi, EB Games etc, so parents can choose what goes under the tree.
- Share amongst your friends, family and colleagues
- Organise an office Kris Kingle where everyone donates food
We have a number of resources to help you promote your Food For Families collection, including posters and shopping list flyers. If you are a school, workplace, community group or church, you will receive this kit with your boxes.
Additional downloadable resources can be found on our Helpful resources page
Don’t forget social media. Please use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn as much as you can to showcase your Food For Families collection and ideas, and don’t forget to add #FoodForFamilies
You can drop off your collection at any time. Refer to the website to easily search for your nearest drop off point.
If you have a large donation and can't get to a drop-off point, please contact us for assistance.
Phone: 1800 060 543
Please use your own bags and boxes to collect any extra food. Please ensure the boxes are sturdy and ideally have a lid or can close.
Email FoodForFamilies@vt.uniting.org or call 1800 060 543 if you’re unsure.
The latest date we will pick up your 6+ filled boxes will be Wednesday 18 December to ensure we get food sorted before the Christmas break. You will need to book the week prior to ensure you can be scheduled in time.
If you cannot take them to a drop off point or book a collection for your 6+ boxes before 18 December we can collect them in the new year, between 13 - 17 January.
You can also drop your donations at the closest drop off point at any time to a Uniting location throughout the campaign, until the second week of January.
But we really appreciate food as early as possible, so remember you can drop off your collection at any time.
Important: we will also be picking up food in the New Year. We will be in touch to ensure everyone has a pick up date, in December or January.
Check the drop offs page to see which drop off locations close to you are still open over Christmas.
We understand that not everyone can afford to donate to others this Christmas. We’re sorry to hear about your situation. AskIzzy has the most comprehensive list of emergency relief services across Australia.
To donate visit our donations page on our website. You can also call us on 1800 060 543 if you wish to hold an event to raise money.